Track information
Goldsborough

Goldsborough is a small community with some interesting relics of commercial goldming of 100 years ago including features marked on the cycle track map. The ride is gently undulating over unmade bush tracks through box ironbark forest. The Bealiba range offers a great walking opportunities with impressive views of the surounding countryside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional notes by Margaret Van Veen


Goldsborough
Subdivided by H.N.Simson in 1855 in hope to make quick money from land hungry miners from the 1852 Goldsborough rush, it was not consolidated as a permanent settlement until the opening of the Queens Birthday Mine in 1865. One shaft was 800 feet deep, the other 600 feet, and employed 100 men per shaft working day and night. Soon several companies were working the Queens Birthday Reef, providing a thriving community of 16,000, remnants of which can still be seen today with the enormous mullock heaps, school, dam wall and powder magazine.

The Martins.
The first Martin was James who fought in the Eureka Stockade in 1854, managing to escape with life and limb. On hearing of their father's existence in Australia, his son William and daughter-in-law applied to immigrate. Unwanted by Australia they jumped ship in New Zealand and made their way to Australia via Steamboat, then caught a bullock train up to the Goldsborough Goldfields, starting a connection with the area that has spanned four generations and continues today. Local resident Nin Martin still recalls playing with his brothers in the wash water from the Queens Birthday Mine, as they lived across the street and their father and uncles worked down the mines. He recalls the frightful noise of the 40 head battery crushing the rock and the deep well pumps running day and night; watching his father being whinched down the 800 foot shaft, not to return to the surface till the end of the day, with many a wild adventure to share. Tragedy down the shafts was common and Nin lost his Grandfather when timber collapsed striking him at the bottom of the shaft. According to family legend on the last day the mine operated, his father and a work mate decided to cut a drive into the side of the shaft and hit a golden reef. But before they had the chance to remove the gold they were winched to the surface and the mine closed, due to a decision made in the mines head office in London. That was in 1886 and the towns decline was rapid.

Selling off Goldsborough
Goldsborough, like most gold towns was based on making money wherever the opportunity might arise. Two such opportunities did arise; At the close of the mines the large quantity of steel machinery that was used to run the mine, was exploded with dynamite and the metal sold to a German company to produce weapons. Much later in the 1970's the foundations of the old Goldsborough Railway Station were bought by a company and crushed in search of gold, as the stone that built the foundations were all local. Sure enough gold was found and that is why today as you pass the site of the Railway Station there is only a swamp to mark the site. One of the Martins on Goldsborough Station.

Old Powder Magazine.
One of the few remaining buildings of the gold rush era is the Powder Magazine (seen on the walk). Its simple design ensured safety for the multitudes of people living and working in the vicinity. The double brick walls were sturdy enough to hold together in an explosion, as the detachable roof would fly off into the sky, giving the explosion its necessary outlet. Just hope you're not in the way when the roof comes back down! Old Powder Magazine.

Home | Area information | Maps | Track information | Links | Photo Gallery | GPS